Friday, June 18, 2010

Getting back to working out

Okay, I've been feeling pretty heavy these past few days.  I'm sitting and and something new has developed...my skin is peaking over the top of my pants...wait, lets get real here, we're all friends.  Let me re-phrase that...there is a roll hanging over my pants!!!  WTF?  I haven't gained any weight, but it is obvious now that my body is turning to mush and I do not want that.  I don't feel healthy and I'm not liking the way my body is looking.  I need a tune-up and I need to get my head back into getting off my ass and working out in some form or another. 

For a few weeks now I have been thinking about doing some kind of program, whether it be a weight workout routine, walk/running, a DVD.  I go to bed at night thinking about what I'm going to do the next day, then for some reason I end up doing nothing!  I'm not sure whats going on in my head to keep me from doing something/anything, but maybe by blogging about it I'll get back on track with exercising again.  That's my hope anyway :)

Eating starts out great then I spot something yummy or I just want something yummy and I go out and get it.  I thought about trying a diet program/book but I know that those never work long-term because they usually cut out a complete food group or at least cut way down on that food and the only weight you really are losing is water and muscle and then your body yells at you because you need that "forbidden" food.
Maybe I could use a book as a jump-start...

This weekend my step-brother-in-law will be staying with us through Wed.  I am looking forward to his visit and it will be a busy one for sure, with lots of yummy foods and drinks...see my problem with the food thing LOL  Tomorrow we are having a BBQ, Father's Day will be at my brother-in-laws house, Monday will be baked ziti, and Tues. will be going out maybe.  I'll focus on choosing healthy foods and stay away from the fattening ones and make sure there is plenty of fruits and veggies on hand to munch on.  That should work :)

4 comments:

Brit-Man said...

The main thing is you ARE capable of doing what you want. You just need to keep believing.

Good luck and best wishes.

:-) :-).

Matt

hayleycepeda said...

i know it can be so easy getting out of the habit of exercising consistently and I'm sure it's especially frustrating when there isn't anything in particular that sparks your interest. I definitely think (for me) that doing a variety of stuff helps tremendously. One day I run/jog, I teach Jazzercise, and I elliptical and then lift weights (doing a circuit so that I throw cardio in between 3 sets of 3 exercises. Maybe just randomly pick something at the gym, whether it be a machine or a class, or try out a new DVD or just start walking, etc (kind of force yourself to do it) and then you'll feel so great afterwards you'll get back in the swing of things?

I have DEFINITELY given up dieting and I feel MUCH more in control of my life. The only books and things I'm reading now are things like, "Intuitive Eating," "Naturally Thin," etc. I try to only read blogs that are written by people who don't calorie-count (with the exception of a few) or don't restrict food groups, etc. I feel more in control of my life when I allow myself to have bites of dessert or tastes of whatever than if I tell myself, "I'm going to eat 100% clean today!"

Sorry if that sounded all about me - I was just trying to offer up some helpful suggestions. Have a WONDERFUL Father's Day tomorrow! Sounds as though it will be great. :)

leslie said...

First of all, SO happy you're writing again!

Secondly, when I get back we must go to the park and play -- it's super fun!

Regarding a book as a jump start, I'd suggest The Primal Blueprint. (Or just read the posts on Mark's Daily Apple blog.) I really think what he says makes sense, and it seems to be working for me.

Have a great week!

Colette said...

Hayley, you are so right about variety and don't worry if you talk about YOU, it's all good and you had a lot of good points to say...thank you :)

Leslie, I would love to "play" when you get back! I have been looking at the website about primal blueprint and think some of it is not that bad. I need to just get off my butt and do it!