Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Insanity Workout

A few months back I embarked on the Shaun T Insanity Workout and loved it!  It's different then P90X in that this workout does a ton of sports conditioning exercises, where P90X seems to targeted at more pull-ups/push-ups and weights.  Because of the high cardio, even in the "warm-up" portion, you drop inches fast!  I lost inches all over, especially in my mid-section, but the scale never budged, which told me that I was adding wonderful muscle.  My strength improved like nothing I've done in the past too.  I was doing tons of push-ups, and for me that is something I have always hated!  This program takes 63 days total.  The first four weeks the workouts are 30-40 minutes of continuous cardio, with a minute rest here and there.  You then get a recovery week, which is very little cardio and more core and strength.  The last four weeks is where the kick-your-butt workouts come!  They are intense and last 60 minutes!  You are dying!!  I have never sweated in my life like I did with this workout, and it was right from the beginning!  There were times though when my ankles would hurt and then my right knee was giving me problems.  The reason was because of all the high-impact exercises that this program has you doing.  You do a lot of jumping high in the air, bringing your knees to a 90 degree angle and coming down in a squat.  This takes a toll on everyone who has done Insanity, according to all the blogs I was reading and the Insanity forum.  I wasn't alone and I just made do by popping Advil when needed.

I wish I could say that I completed the entire program, however I am sad to say that I did not complete it.
This was the first time I stuck with a program for as long as I did, and an intense one at that.  I stuck to the outlined schedule and missed nothing in the first four weeks.  I did the recovery week with no problem either and was on top of the world in how I was feeling.  Then month two came.  The workout was twice as long and they had you doing even more with your body then the first month.  Needless to say, I was able to do four days and then my body could not take any more.  My knees were hurting on the first day of month two, but I figured that was because the workout was longer and I just had to adjust to it.  Nope, it got worse and to the point I couldn't even get off the couch without my knees killing.  This was not worth it!  I'm 42 years young and I guess my body was not having it.  I was able to stick with the group on the DVD by the end of week four, and I was truly enjoying this workout program, but my body was having different thoughts I guess. 

I stopped doing the workout, unfortunately.  It took weeks before my knees were fully healed and stopped hurting when I bent them.  Not good.  My problem now is getting back into exercise.  I have not been able to do anything and now I'm out of the habit of working out.  Each day I tell myself I'm going to start walking, or doing P90X, or just do something....then nothing gets done.  I have not gained weight, thank goodness, but I'm not feeling up to par either.  I'm hoping by blogging again I will get myself back into working out and finding my way towards my new path in life :)

8 comments:

Brit-Man said...

Hi Colette.

Wanted to reiterate what I said in my mail. I'm really glad ot see you vack and I think you look great, so WELL DONE for managing to put the time and effort in for yourself.

I hope that all the schooling is going well. You are such an intellgent and capable Lady and I'm always happy to see how well thing have gone for you.

Take care and very best wishes to you. You deserve a great life and I hope you continue to get it :-) :-).

Matt

Colette said...

Matt, I am so happy you commented!
Did you get the comment I left on your blog? It feels good to back in bloggerland :)

I did not get any email, but that may because I have a new email address, which I just put on my blog profile. I am done with school for now and happy to have achieved what I have this far. As always, your kind words are appriciated...thank you :)

leslie said...

You were smart to stop Insanity when you did, as knee pain is nothing to mess around with. Can't wait to see what you'll end up doing next, C!

Maggie said...

Phew I got in!lol
First off, don't be too hard on yourself about quitting the insanity program. You tried it, it didn't work out and time to move on.

I don't think its an age thing either, with your knees hurting. You do all that jumping around and bending etc. Your body can only take so much. lol And with or without the insanity you look great for 42.

I also can't wait to see what you do next... Just be gentle to your body whatever it is. :)

{{hugs}}

Colette said...

I am so glad you guys got in LOL

Lelie, you aren't kidding about not messing around with knee pain, and I can't wait to see what I do next either LOL

Maggie, you sweet-talker you ;)
I will be gentle to myself for now on LOL

Brit-Man said...

Yes I got the comment :-).

Brit-Man said...

P.S. it's good to see you back as well. You have always been a positive factor in my life and I've never stopped appreciating it.

:-):-).

Colette said...

You are as sweet as always...thank you, Matt