Saturday, August 7, 2010

Things I just noticed in my food

Just in the past few days I have found out that I have been buying foods that I assumed were good, but finally read the ingredient list and found I was wrong.
 
What are these foods?

~The first is the choice of bread.  I knew to look for bread that said "100% Whole Wheat" and if it doesn't say 100% then it's no good.  Well, looking at the ingredient list I see third on the list, "High Fructose Corn Syrup"!!!  Yikes!  Thank goodness there is a brand that is proud to have on the front of their product, "NO HFCS" and is 100% whole wheat.  Now I will only buy "Orowheat' brand bread.

~Second food is yogurt.  Once again, I knew to look for yogurt that has live cultures, which helps with your digestion system and keeps your pH balanced.  I was always buying fat free "Yoplait" yogurt.  I finally checked out the ingredient list and once again I found those horrible words, "High Fructose Corn Syrup"!  WTH!!!  Now I am on the lookout for yogurt that does not have that crap in it, but does have live cultures.  Greek yogurt is great, but is lacking the cultures.  When I find it, I will pass the info along :)
EDIT:  I just found that "Greek" yogurt does have live cultures so now I'm happy and not searching anymore :)

~A good thing I just found out last night...you can buy "Retro Pepsi" or "Throw-back Pepsi" for a limited time.  These products are the best IF you drink soda.  They are made the same way they used to be prepared back in the day...with sugar!  Yep, this is a healthier soda and even though I'm not a soda drinker, I hope it stays!

3 comments:

Brit-Man said...

I'm glad things are getting better for you now.

:-) :-).

Matt

Maggie said...

Yep, that's what I'm finding out about a lot of the so called "healthy" foods I've been choosing.
My sandwich thins are made by Orowheat. And I buy now greek yogurt too. Keep the list coming. Can't wait to see your "meals" for the day. I keep checking back to see if you put it up yet. lol

Hayley said...

I so know what you mean about surprising ingredients in foods you think are healthy! I have been shocked to see how many different kinds of bread have HFCS in them - same with yogurts! I don't even buy yogurts that aren't plain & Greek. If I want to add some sweetness I usually just squirt some honey or agave syrup in it. That's how they do it in Greece anyway! :)

I'm excited to see your new meal posts! Off to read the latest..